Many people always think that excess wood is refuse, so they often wasted improperly. Have you ever thought about how the racks made from old wine barrels or inlaid water tables made from Bed board would look? Just be creative and a little deft, you can turn “junk” into vintage furniture like the article below.
You only need to spend a little effort to make a lot of furniture in the house with pallet wood such as making beautiful and unique tables, chairs, beds, bookshelves with a low total cost. Although the material is simple, it will create very unexpected results.
1. First, we need to understand what pallet is?
The pallet is a flat transport structure, which stably supports goods while being lifted by a forklift, a pallet jack, a front loader, a jacking device, or an erect crane; sometimes, a pallet is inaccurately called a skid. Goods or shipping containers are often placed on a pallet secured with strapping, stretch wrap or shrink wrap and shipped. While most pallets are wooden, pallets can also be made of plastic, metal, paper, and recycled materials. Each material has advantages and disadvantages.
2. When choosing a pallet to make furniture in our house, what characteristics should we consider?
Pallets come in many different sizes, 0.95mx1,2m or 1mx1m, it has an untreated type and a one-side scrubbed type, depending on your needs you can choose the right plate. The price of a pallet usually fluctuates between 100,000-200,000 VND.
Also, we need to pay attention to the surface of Pallet, including the following types:
– Pallet with the separate wood face, small bar: This type can be used to hang clothes
– Pallet of the separate wood face, big bar: Can be used as a chair, shelf, bed, …
– The pallet has wooden surfaces close together: You can choose to make a dinner table, headboard, … items have the flat surface
In addition to selecting the wood surface, we need to consider what are the connected pallet bars (there are two main types):
– Humpback (red)
– The kind with wooden pieces connecting the sections(green)
The wood used to close Pallet of the separate wood face about 8000 VND for one piece, humpback around 2000 for one piece.
That is some concepts need to be understood about pallets when you intend to make tables, chairs with wooden pallets or some furniture in your home by yourself. Here we will learn how to make pallet furniture.
3. Raw materials for tables and chairs with pallet wood
– Pallet (depending on the model of the table, bed,… you intend to do to choose the number of pallets accordingly, for example, the table needs one pallet, the table needs 2 plates,… )
– Sandpaper to clean the surface of pallets (if using a scrub machine, it is better to buy fabric type sandpaper )
– Wheel for mounting if needed
– Nails for wood
– Saws or chainsaw machine (Best Chainsaw Reviews)
– Hammer (should buy a good product, buy hammer have hook remove if you don’t want to break a hammer)
– Milk glue for gluing wood (blue bag on the left corner). I buy 1kg comfortable to use
– Drilling machines to connect wooden bars by screws (and drill the wall if necessary), with drilling, remember to buy a 4-pin screw (some good drilling machines: Best Drill Presses, Best Cordless Drills, Best Makita drill, Best Dewalt drill or Best drill bits)
– Oil and paintbrush – there are two types to buy: Colour Paint and polish paint. Paint color to create color according to your preferences, paint polish to make it beautiful and protect wood better.
– Aromatic gasoline for mixing paint, you should wash the brush or soak the palm after painting.
– L-bar and rawlplug to close into the wall
4. Implementation steps
Pallet after purchase, clean the surface with sandpaper, this step helps clean and paint pallets easier. If not sanding the wood surface, it will be less aesthetically pleasing when painting
Pallet saws according to design (This pallet is sawed into two parts to make chairs)
Wood pallet paint according to favorite color, otherwise paint gloss to protect the wood. It is possible to repaint the second time because sometimes wood absorb paint so that the paint on wood is patchy
Here is a picture of all things done:
Bed: 6 bottom pallets, one headboard and two pieces of wood for make bedside shelves
Bookshelf: 1 sheet and 6 odd pieces closed in 3 horizontal bars to order belongings
Shoe shelf: 1 small plate cut in half and then use 4 humped edges to merge them
Sofa: 2 plates for the table, 4 wheels below, 2 panels for 2 chairs, it can be split into 4 seats
– Do this thing is very easy; only one thing is that it takes a long time to do it, so you should do it 1 by one, don’t do it all at once, it will take more than half a month to complete.
– Money to buy paint is quite a lot, so consider before buying color paint (polish paint will be more cheaper, faster and it makes you lazier ^^)
– When buying pallets, you have to choose which plate to use for what because each plate is different; you need to buy the same for each type.
– After finishing, you should buy a mattress (for chairs and beds), glass for a table, hook … to make your belongings more standard.